Re: Chev truck radiator

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Chev truck radiator
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 22:54:37 -0800
> Have a leak in the radiator on my 1993 Chevrolet Suburban 4x4.  This is a
> composite aluminum-core/plastic-tanks radiator.  The leak appears to be in
> the seal between the left tank and the aluminum core.  Coolant is wetting
> the back side of the aluminum core on the rear face all the way up and down
> the seal.

Y'know, it's very funny, but in the couple decades I've had vehicles
with plastic-tank radiators, I've had exactly *one* failure, and that
('98 BMW 540i) was of a vent nipple on the top of the tank that broke
off in its fitting (that part is $7, though for other reasons I replaced
the radiator.)

I've never, ever had a tank leak at the tank-to-core seal.  Maybe I'm
just lucky (at that, if little else...)

I've had soldered-metal radiators fail, though.

John.