Re: garage door opener problem

To: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: garage door opener problem
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 01:57:38 -0500
David Scheidt wrote:
> One of our garage door openers started mis-behaving yesterday.  It
> goes up and down fine, if the door isn't attached to drive mechanism.
> With the door attached, it opens.  When it tries to close the door, it
> goes about a foot, stops, reverses, and flashes the light; the same
> behavior as if something had tripped the safety photo-eyes.  It's a
> Craftsman chain driven opener.
>
> About all I know about these things is how to push the button, so I
> have no idea where to start looking.

   Usually on the unit there are two force adjusters, one for up and one
for down.

   One adjusts how hard the unit will try to go down before it
safety-reverses, the other up.

   Try giving the down one a little increase so it tries a little harder
before giving up.

   Because of your "no door attached" test, the photoeyes are probably
still aligned. But since they usually have LEDs to show alignment, check
and see if they are on, and wave your tow in front of the line and see
if they go off.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca