Re: Wireless Headphones...

To: William Hook <wghook@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Wireless Headphones...
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:16:45 -0500
William Hook wrote:

> Dear list....
>
> I am looking for a good quality set of wireless headphones to listen to
> my CDs and radio in the studio.  A much quieter environment than the
> shop but where quality of the sound is important for long time use.  I
> will always be within 20-30 feet of the transmitter, so distance is not
> a problem but always having a wire connected when I am going from one
> work area to another is a hassle.
>
> I have been looking at the Sony 900 MHz and InfaRed systems, as well as
> the Sennheiser RS65 (also a 900 MHz)  I have also heard about the
> Amphony Models 1000 and 2000 which are the 2.4 GHz system.
>
> I have read a lot about static and generally poor sound quality of the
> 900 mhz systems similar to wireless phones.   Does anyone have
> experience with the Infarred systems (very limited range) or the 2.4ghz
> systems for sound quality?

   A co-worker has a set here that he uses continuously.

   I can't really comment on sound quality, I've never used his for more
than a few seconds and it wasn't music I knew critically. I am very
picky about my headphones and reference monitors as well.

   However, the infrared works surprisingly well. The box says "up to
7m", so 20-30 feet is probably on the edge of acceptable.

   However, for working at a desk or a table or something, they work
pretty much perfectly and he forgets they are there. Until he walks to a
different room to fetch a printout or get a drink and the sound fizzles
away.

   At close range at least, they aren't picky about alignment or turning
your head or anything like that.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca