Antifreeze testing

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Antifreeze testing
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 16:32:42 +0000
Recent years I've moved away from replacing coolant on a two year cycle and
gone over to testing for freeze protection with a refractometer and then
for pH with test strips. As long as the pH reads more than 8 and the
coolant is reasonably clear I've taken this as being OK and no need for a
change.

This has been brought about by wanting to get away from having to dispose
of used coolant unnecessarily, once the number of engines gets into double
figures the quantity can't be ignored. If anyone can see a flaw in this
thinking I'd be grateful to hear it before the chickens come home to roost.

Moving on from that has anyone used the DMM test for coolant conductivity?
I've read about it being used for coolant quality and for earth (ground)
problems. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Nick Brearley