RE: Ratcheting Box end wrenches and drill bits

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Ratcheting Box end wrenches and drill bits
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:46:07 -0800
> I thought I would get myself some ratcheting box end wrenches for
> Christmas. I assume that
> reversible ones with an offset are better than the straight ones
> that you flip over to reverse.

I have both kinds ... what I dislike about the reversible ones is that they
have a web across one side of the socket, so they can't be slid completely
over a nut, or used with the offset "down" instead of "up".  There is also a
socket drive adapter (which effectively makes a very skinny, low profile
ratchet handle) that cannot be used with the offset version.

Sorry, haven't looked at the swivel head ones.

> Also which kind of drill bits are best -- cobalt?

Opinions will vary, of course.  Most of the "high tech" drill bits are for
production machine shops, IMO and have few advantages in the hands of the
average DIY.  Plain old HSS drill bits (from China) are dirt cheap, and you
can buy many replacements for what one cobalt bit will cost you.

Randall