RE: Siping (on street tires)?

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Siping (on street tires)?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:36:16 -0800
> If you go buy tires now, the deal want to "sipe" your tires: cut small
> slits all over the tread. They say it creates more grip on the road.

I'm no expert, but it's my understanding that siping does not normally
increase grip on dry pavement.  Some quick searching on Google seems to
confirm that.  It supposedly increases traction in poor conditions (rain,
dirt, mud etc), improves ride on dry pavement, lowers noise on dry pavement
and increases tire life; but there doesn't seem to be anyone claiming it
increases traction on dry roads (which is the only place where slicks work
best).

Racing is probably a special case, though, since siping probably does lower
tire temperature (reduce heat build up), which could translate to lower lap
times.
http://www.hoosiertire.com/groovy.HTM

Randall