Question on phase converters and thanks for cordless info.

To: <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Question on phase converters and thanks for cordless info.
From: "Steve Hammatt" <gsteve@hammatt.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:45:15 -0800
10 days ago I asked about cordless tool recommendations.  Lots of replies
and great info and suggestions.  Decided to go with the 14.4V Bosch.  Now if
I can get it away from my wife, I give it a try..<grin>

Question:  I'm tired of passing up good machinery deals due to only having
single phase power, on the other hand I've always disliked the general idea
of phase converters.  Hard starting, less efficiency, etc.  Or maybe my
ideas about using phase converters is out of date or simply wrong.

Any suggestions?  Some systems involve running an extra motor, other methods
seem to be "solid state"....and maybe I'm missing some other options.

Thanks,
Steve