and a heating element, too

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: and a heating element, too
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 23:48:25 -0400
and underneath tile in aforementioned bathroom will be one of those
heating-blanket-mat elements to keep the floor nice and toasty on those
chilly florida mornings.  yes, there are some...about two a year.

anyway, anybody else do this?  I've read the on-line manual
(buyfloorheat.com) and I'm cool with laying tile, but I've never put the
mat under it.

apparently, you roll out the mat and trowel-out the mortar and lay tile
like usual.  but don't scrape the wire with the trowel.  well, every other
floor I did, I scraped the floor with the trowel notches, leaving only the
mortar that squeezed through the notches.  this is with tiny v-notched
trowels on 4 x 4 up to 1/4" x 1/4" square-notched trowels for honkin'-big
16" x 16" floor tiles.

so...have I been doing it wrong?  the tile always held, some's been there
for almost 10 years without a problem.  should I not be scraping the
floor?  I tend to think not, as, though the mat is thin, the wire is still
thick enough that the coat of mortar I usually leave won't be thick enough
to cover and get the tiles to adhere.  on the other hand, laying a big
thick layer of mortar is a good way to get uneven tiles, as well as a floor
a half-inch higher than it used to be.

any thoughts/advice/experience available?

thanks.

scott