Re: CFCs. What's the real truth?

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: CFCs. What's the real truth?
From: Paul Parkanzky <parkanz1@msu.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 15:42:34 -0400
That's a bit of a loaded question.  Yes, CFCs are heavier than air.
But being heavier than air doesn't necessarily mean that it won't mix
with air.  If you think about it the air is made up of a bunch of
different gasses all with different weights and yet they're all mixed
together uniformly.  The reason for this is that the atmosphere is
turbid, and any difference in the density of the gasses is dwarfed by
the mixing caused by wind currents.

Look at it this way.  The ozone we're worried about is heavier than
air, yet it's higher in the atmosphere.  If his argument held we would
all be poisoned under a big sheet of ozone.

~Paul