my 'new' table saw

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: my 'new' table saw
From: "Mark and Susan Miller" <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 17:32:42 -0700
Hi.  I just got an old Rockwell/Beaver 10" tablesaw for approximately
nothing. It's an open bottom contractor type, fence and bearings all feel
tight, adjustment screws are smooth and work well, it came wired for 220V
with a very heavy and delightfully long power cord, and its basically rust
free.  Only needed a new belt and some JB weld and scrap metal to fix the
motor support casting I broke getting it home (note to self: the belt is an
important part of holding up the weight of the motor).  I'm very happy,
especially since I can ask this knowledgeable group a few questions.

I've always worked with saws with the fence to the left of the blade.  This
one is on the right.  Why? Is this a 'lefty' saw, or is there something
(additional) that I don't know about table saws.

It came with only a cheap blade.  I had a Freud blade on my old radial arm
saw and liked it.  Should I get another one?  Are they still well made?  Or
is there a recommendation for another brand (this should generate some
traffic!)?

Does the HF 'saw diaper' duct catcher thing work?  I'd have to rig something
to stop the dust that would shoot out the back around the motor, but that
wouldn't be a big deal.

Anybody have some clever plans for an outfeed table that can collapse (when
wanted, not on its own - that I can make) or fold away so as not to eat the
entire shop?

Many thanks in advance.

Mark Miller