RE: Easements & Covenants - was - Pioneer Steel Buildings

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Easements & Covenants - was - Pioneer Steel Buildings
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:24:14 -0700
> Its all well and good to check for these things but our problem
> is we bought
> our land (2.6 acres) outside the metro area, then it was forcibly
> annexed by
> a nearby city - Then we were told that to build on this land we would now
> have to follow the new city guide lines and set backs - which changed our
> net acreage from 2.2 down to 1.6 - We did not get paid for the now useless
> part of the land, and we also can't build the detached workshop I had
> planned because the city has restrictions that apply to the whole city!

Sounds like grounds for a lawsuit.  Perhaps not one you're likely to win,
but what you have just described is a "taking" and I believe you're entitled
to be compensated for it.

Granted California is a hotbed of frivolous lawsuits, but there have been
several local cases along these lines where the (previous) landowner
prevailed in court.  I especially liked the one where the city of Torrance
tried to argue eminent domain, so American Honda could have a huge front
yard without looking at the muffler shop that used to be there.
[shop content <g>]

Randall