Re: Gravel driveway material & labor prices?

To: "Mark Andy" <mark@sccaprepared.com>,
Subject: Re: Gravel driveway material & labor prices?
From: "john niolon" <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 16:49:26 -0600
Mark,

I bid out work for a living...  any job that you can see all four sides on
can be a hard money price... he should be able to easily calculate the
amount of gravel/limestone/etc.. with a tape and calculator...  and if he's
any kind of operator he should know how long it will take to push it around
and smooth it...  If he can't come up with a number within 10-15%... he's
not trying.   You can check him by getting a price per yd ( or estimated
yards per ton) on the material and calculating your own estimate on material
cost...if he gets it cheaper ??? well he made a little on you...

if there are no hiddens he can bid it... depending on how slow he works and
how much time he waste moving the same gravel..... he can eat your lunch...
my advice ??/ get two prices at least...

john