Bench Grinder - 1725 rpm

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Bench Grinder - 1725 rpm
From: Derek <dereklola@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:28:00 -0700 (PDT)
For years I've been satisfied with my el-cheapo 5" bench
grinder. Use wire wheel on one side to clean up dirty parts
(like used bolts), break sharp edges etc and a medium grit
wheel on the other side for general grinding and occasional
lathe tool shaping and touch up. Since 5" wheels are almost
impossible to find now, and the grinder is about 15 years
old, I went shopping for a 6" replacement.

I thought all bench grinders were 3450 rpm until I saw this
one import unit rated at half speed - 1725 rpm. I can work
out that with the 6" wheels my surface speed will be 20%
higher and am wondering whether this slower speed model is
what I should buy. It just happens to have better, more
robust "tool rests" as well.

What are the pros and cons of the slower speed?

Thx Derek.