Re: Winches

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Winches
From: Derek <dereklola@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 05:43:13 -0700 (PDT)
I agree with Nolan - and to answer Steven's question "Yes -
it will in theory pull or lift 9000# - well actually - No
not quite if the rating is accurate it should just stall
with that load". The winch doesn't know whether it is
pulling horizontally or vertically! The "Not for Lifting"
warning is a safety warning.

I have a 1000# winch - "horizontal loads only, not for
lifting" etc. I use it with a 2:1 pulley arrangement for
lifting my 1200# and 1500# race cars on to chassis stands
and for lifting out engines etc. The rear of the one car is
about 800# and that is hard work for it. The rear of the
other car is about 1000# and it barely does that. Also it
tends to unwind when the current is switched off - get the
chassis stands under fairly quickly.

So allowing for friction losses and optimistic ratings I'd
say "Buy more rating than you need and be very careful not
to get underneath when anywhere near the rated capacity."
Also suggest you lift in small increments so that if
something does go wrong it is only a small drop.

Derek