Car polisher

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Car polisher
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 19:29:12 +0000
I recently bought an inexpensive electric waxer/polisher, first time I've
used one.  I am not impressed. Maybe I am doing something wrong -- or maybe
I just need a higher-quality one.

Followed the instructions and used it to apply the wax to half the car.
Worked sort of OK, but the unit threw a lot of wax on the ground, on me, on
everything.  And of course it smeared wax on the black rubber body
mouldings, rubber door/window seals, and other places where I didn't realy
want any wax.  I ended up applying the other half of the car by hand, the
old way.

Then I changed bonnets and used the polisher to remove & buff the wax --
well, kind of.  It didn't work very well.  It didn't really remove all the
wax, it left a dull film of wax on the car -- which I ended up polishing off
by hand, to get a shine.  It got worse as I went along, the bonnet got
prettty gooey with built-up wax residue.  The thing came with only one
polishing bonnet, so I couldn't change to a clean bonnet.

After a while I gave up totally and buffed the rest of the car by hand.
When I went to buff the areas where I used the polisher to apply the wax, it
was VERY difficult to get the wax off -- like maybe there was too much wax
on the car in those areas.

All in all, I would have saved time by doing the whole car by hand, the
old-fashioned way.  But I thought any cool tool guy worth his salt, used one
of these polishers.  What am I missing?

1) Need a better quality unit?  This one sort of bounces up & down while it
rotates/oscillates -- it doesn't really ride smoothly on the surface.  Maybe
a better one would have smoother action and polish better?

2) Maybe I used too much wax?  But I tried using less, and the surface
appeared too dry -- I was worried about scratching the finish with too
little wax.

3) Maybe I just need better quality bonnets?  Or more of them?  How many
buffing bonnets does it typically take to do an average car (medium-size
sedan)?

4) Maybe I need a different wax? I used regular Mequiar's wax/cleaner.
Works fine when I apply it by hand & buff by hand.  Maybe it's not the right
stuff for use with an electric polisher.

5) Maybe I tried to do too much of the car with the polisher -- maybe it's
only good for big, flat panels and you have to do the rest by hand anyway.
But if that's the case, it would only work for about 50% of the car's
surface.  Not worth unwinding the extension cord for that.

Any advice appreciated from experienced people.  Please don't give me the
generic "cheap tools aren't good/good tools aren't cheap" lecture, we all
know that, if you can be more specific that would help.

Mark

Test your Travel Quotient and get the chance to win your dream trip!
http://travel.msn.com