RE: Sludge removal in gas tank

To: "George Procyshyn" <george@toycar.net>
Subject: RE: Sludge removal in gas tank
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:27:11 -0700
> > I have a car that's sat for 10 years or so.  The fuel has evaporated and
> > what's left is varnish/sludge.  I've heard of using Coke to
> clean it out but I
> > can't find it on the net.  Any ideas.
>
> Carb cleaner.

Look for the stuff with the warning about methylene chloride on the can.  It
works a lot better than Gumout brand ... but be careful about getting it on
your hands (esp under your fingernails).

Haven't tried it, but I'll bet old fashioned "aircraft stripper" would work
well too, it's mostly methylene chloride.  Thin it with carb cleaner if it's
too thick.

Randall