RE: Prednisone & poison oak, (was Fun with my new toy, errrr,

To: john niolon <jniolon@bham.rr.com>
Subject: RE: Prednisone & poison oak, (was Fun with my new toy, errrr,
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 07:59:19 -0800
> > Careful with that Prednisone !  What the MDs don't tell you is
> ... it can
> > cause diabetes !  Not to mention lots of other side effects, like weight
> > gain and Cushing's syndrome (which makes you look like you have Down's
> > syndrome).
>
> Ick.  Do you have a link for those?  A quick search
> didn't turn up those side effects.

Try
http://inin.essortment.com/whatispredni_rdci.htm
http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/16719.htm
http://www.med.miami.edu/patients/glossary/art.asp?ArticleKey=809

It probably does only cause diabetes in those who were borderline to begin
with ... but my Dad went from just being careful with his diet to injecting
insulin, and had to continue taking insulin even after he stopped the
Prednisone.  It did eventually get better, these days he's only taking an
"insulin improver" orally.

> For me it's only good for cleaning up the oils; it doesn't do anything
> to the rash itself.

Agreed.  But my experience is that if you use it when the rash just starts,
the rash doesn't get any worse and fades fairly soon.

> (and you don't have to go to satan-mart to
> get it, at least not around here.  It's at the local hardware
> store and drugstore).

Sorry, I didn't mean it was only at Wally-mart, that was just an example.
They only carry the commonest of items, so if they have it, almost any place
will.

> While we're on the topic, any suggestions for cleaning
> off the chainsaw?  I could use technu for something simple
> like an axe, but I don't think it'll get the urushiol oils
> out of the chain.

Sorry, no help here.  Seems to me like the Tecnu should work, tho, perhaps
mixed with something like Simple Green to cut the chain oil.

Randall