Re: Repairing fiberglass tub

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Repairing fiberglass tub
From: shiples@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:09:26 -0800
>Is there any reason that cutting a hole in the subfloor underneath the tub
>and then fiberglassing on a repair patch (with some reinforcement &/or
>bracing to the subfloor) wouldn't work?  On the surface, this seems to be
>a no-brainer as at least something to try...  If it doesn't work, we've
>gotta yank the tub anyway, right?  Only thing this would leave would be a
>12x12 (or whatever) square hole in the subfloor under the tub.  We'd even
>be able to put the piece back in, with a small frame around it, from
>underneath.  Total cost on something like this is <$20... Just some
>fiberglass material.

If it was mine, I'd probably use foam.  Been a while, but I've used foam
caulks that come out of the can like shaving cream, expand, and
finally solidify into something with the consistency of styrofoam.  If this
sounds like just the ticket, there's a downside, the stuff starts foaming,
then you cant control the flow so there's generally a mess.  But if you
could fill the cavity it would stabilize the fiberglass.

Steve Shipley