Re: AAA - was carry around tool kit.

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: AAA - was carry around tool kit.
From: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 18:11:35 -0500
On Feb 15, 2004, at 4:09 PM, Phil Ethier wrote:

> I think the regular plan AAA is 3 miles to a place of safety.  Pretty
> worthless.  The Plus plan is 100 miles to anywhere I say.  Limit 4 per
> year.
> The plus an extra 25 bucks or so.  Saved my bacon when I shattered a
> halfshaft in the Lotus.

Standard plan varies by what club the coverage is from, but it's
typically 3 miles or so, additional milage for a stated rate, or to the
tow operators location, regardless of distance.

> Downside is when EVERYBODY in the area calls at the same time.  On a
> recent
> cold snap, my daughter was borrowing the Burb.   Would not start.  The
> guy
> never showed because they were giving priority to folks in dangerous
> situations.  I made it to Sears and got a new battery on warranty and
> put it
> in myself.

Not only do they give preference to safety issues, most contractors
also give priority to people paying them upfront.  Typical AAA contract
rates are about 1/2 the open market rate, so it's no surprise.  But
when it's a billion below, you may wait a while.