Spindle speeds

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Spindle speeds
From: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 00:27:14 -0700
So I've got this old Logan 400 lathe at the shop, and I have no idea
what spindle speeds result from various combinations of belts on the
pulleys.  I could probably derive some sort of script or spreadsheet
that could figure out that a pulley of diameter A spinning at X rpm
will spin a pulley of diameter B at Y rpm.  Has anyone done this already?
And where, exactly, does one measure the pulley diameter?  I would think
it would depend on belt width, which determines where in the pulley the
belt runs.

In truth, the motivation for this question does not involve cutting metal,
but was prompted by checking to see if a Spitfire speedometer I'm offering
for sale on Ebay was working.

mjb.