RE: building a shop/ swamp coolers

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: building a shop/ swamp coolers
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:44:19 -0800
> how much moisture/humidity do swamp coolers add to the shop
> environment ???

A lot, when the incoming air is hot and dry.

> would they cause a rusting problem ?

Might, under some circumstances.  But for moisture to be a problem, the
metal has to cool to the dew point of the air.  Swamp coolers won't add
moisture to air that is already near it's dew point and they do provide a
lot of ventilation, so I think the only way it could be a problem is if you
ran the swamp cooler during the day and then sealed the shop up tight right
after shutting off the cooler.  That might trap enough moisture inside to
condense when the building cooled at night.

But I believe the solution is easy, just shut off the water/pump but keep
the fan running for maybe 5 minutes before closing up the shop.

Randall