RE: rivet nuts

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: rivet nuts
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:08:40 -0800
> So I've just discovered rivet nuts.
>
> http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/psearch.asp?FAM=nutinserts&FT_15
> 8=7155&session=nutinserts;158=7155
>
> What do home folks use for installing these?  I'd like to use metric
> sizes, but all the metric mandrel install tools are $150 or so...  Can I
> just thread something into them and use that to crush them down?

There are different kinds, some smallish ones use a cheap mandrel and a
pop-rivet tool to set.  I have set larger aluminum ones by threading in a
bolt with a nut and flat washer, then tightening the nut down against the
insert (while holding the head of the bolt).  Don't know if that would work
for large steel ones, but I don't see why not.

Randall