Re: Trailer idea

To: Eric@megageek.com, Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Trailer idea
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 00:24:09 -0500
Eric@megageek.com wrote:
> Project= dump trailer.
>
> Main difference, instead of lifting up one end, I want to roll the bed.
>
> I've got a 550 gallon oil tank that I'm going to use as a "bed".  (it's
> about 5' long and 3' in diameter.  Think like a big soda can)
>
> With it laid on it's side, I want to cut some of the top off to make a big
> "hole."
>
> Now, I want to mount this to a tailer bed and roll the tank to dump it.  I
> was think that if I made the axle wider than the tank is long, and mounted
> it sideways I could just roll the tank to the back and it would dump.

I'm not sure I understand where you are going to get the energy you need
to roll it. See below for an idea for an energy input device.

> Another idea was to pivot the tank just slightly below the center of
> Gravity and hold it with a pin. Once the pin was removed, the tank would
> spin and dump in place (the trailer would be open under the tank)
>
> Any ideas?  Any pitfalls I'm missing?

Anytime you try to make a center of gravity dump, you have the bugaboo of
not knowing where the CG will be any time the trailer is loaded. The CG
could be so far off that you can't even pull the hitch pin, or if you are
dealing with sticky stuff, you may get in a position where you can't
rotate the body back up by hand to engage the pin. All this can be
dangerous to life and limb if you don't know how fast the energy of the
load will be discharged.

If the tank has a round cross section, you could weld up a tire and axle
that rolls against the outer shell, then figure out a way to couple and
uncouple the trailer axle to the shell tire. Then backing the tractor will
tip the shell and going forward will return it to upright.

Or you could weld a wheel and tire right on the shell axle in plane with
the trailer tire. Then have a third, freewheeling tire on a swing arm that
would you wedge between the two axle tires to transmit force.

Disengaged
    O <Dump body tire
O     <freewheeling tire
  O   <trailer tire

Engaged
    O <Dump body tire
   O  <freewheeling tire wedged between other two tires
  O   <trailer tire

No charge consultation,
Jon