hydraulic radiator fan

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: hydraulic radiator fan
From: "Mordy Dunst/Gasket Works USA, LLC" <gasket.works@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 19:59:06 -0800
Question:

I have a motor home with an 8.3 l   cummins diesel pusher.  the coolant
radiator is on the rear and  side of the coach.  This radiator is probably 48
inches wide and possibly 30" tall.  It is cooled by two fans powered by
hydraulic motors.  The system seems very complex.  It has dual  hydraulic oil
filters lots of high presure hoses and a special gilmer cog belt drive for a
large hydraulic pump driven off the crankshaft.  this belt is very expensive
(about $300.00)  and is not an automotive belt,  but instead   is an
industrial belt not at all easy to get.   It took some doing to find a spare.

The point is ... Why did the engineers do  this?  why not two or four
electric fans thermostatically controlled?

I'm tempted to take this maze of hydraulic pumps, filter, motors, hoses and
accumulator tanks and toss them.... and replace by two or four electric
fans....

 comments that would shed some light on this would be appreciated.

Please answer directly if you like...

gasket.works@gte.net

thanks,

 Mordy