Re: Sawzall v anglegrinder

To: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sawzall v anglegrinder
From: shiples@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 12:22:53 -0800
At 07:27 PM 11/24/2003 +0000, nick brearley wrote:

>In the past I've used an angle grinder or cutoff saw for cutting bar or
>angle. The angle grinder may not be pretty but it gets the job done, and
>you can always dress up your mistakes afterwards!  Nowadays I notice more
>of the Sawzall type tools appearing (in the UK). These are still fairly
>foreign tools to us so I was wondering what they are used for on home
>territory.

I've always thought of them as a remodeling aid.  Don't like where the
front door is?  Turn off the water
and electricity, cut new door opening.   Cuts siding, framing, nails,
electrical, and plumbing all at once.  I
heard an amusing story once involving a nagging wife and a
Sawsall.  Knowing the story teller, it's
entirely possible.

I bought mine to rework some window framing.  Instead of beating the
framing apart with a BFHammer,
I was able to cut through the nails, saving both the vertical and
horizontal pieces.  Reposition and nail.

Good for autobody destruction.  A certain number of sedans get turned into
roadsters with the
almighty Sawsall.

>If you had to cut some 2x<" flat bar or angle which would you use?

Chop saw.  Angle grinder or sawsall requires skill to cut square.

Steve Shipley