Re: Pulley questions

To: Dick Atkinson <dick@grinalot.freeuk.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Pulley questions
From: Dave C <cavanadd@kendra.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 19:28:09 -0800
At 02:11 PM 11/14/2003 +0000, Dick Atkinson wrote:
>When two Allen screws
> > are tightened (the Allen screws are fitted half-way in the
> > center section and half-way into the outer section) there
> > is a very positive clamping affect around the center bore
> > hole.
> >

>Steve,
>
>In the UK they are known as taper lock bushings.

That's what they are called in the US, too, at least, that's what I have
always called them.  I have never seen a taper lock pulley on a consumer
product or light woodworking (or metal working) tool.  I have always
encountered them on industrial equipment, usually on larger shafts where a
lot of torque is being transmitted.  Very common on big fans and
such.  They are available through any industrial belt and drive supplier,
but they're expensive.

Dave C