HF Welding helmuts?

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: HF Welding helmuts?
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 08:27:21 -0500
More beginner questions....

I bought a used Lincoln 255 AC tombstone welder to get started -- $100.00

I thought I might like an auto darkening helmet, and saw these cheap
ones at HF.

My body shop guy said they help a lot. He said his sons use the HF cheap
ones and love them. He said he spent $180.00 on a Miller and the lens
failed.

The question is quality/reliability of the lens -- these are my eyes
we're talking about...

The helmets....

  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47277

The one above darkens in .00004 secs. The one below darkens in .0001. Do
I care about the difference? I will not be welding every day -- several
times a year, although there could be some big projects in there. Sills
and floors on my MGB (not with this AC 225) and a car trailer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47996

Both are ANSI approved -- for whatever that is worth. What does that
mean exactly -- to my eyes?

Is there a quality or reliability problem with these lenses. Am I
risking eye damage with them? My eyes are worth $200.00 to me. Should I
throw money at it, or are they all the same -- ANSI approved.

Don Malling