Re: Furnace problem

To: "Michael D. Porter" <mporter@zianet.com>
Subject: Re: Furnace problem
From: "Mark and Susan Miller" <marknsuz@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 13:33:13 -0800
> Mark and Susan Miller wrote:
>
> > I need some help that I'm sure this list can provide.  Our furnace won't
come
> > on.  It's a fraser-johnson with a White Rodgers 50A50-241 controller.
> > Anyone know where I can find a control schematic for this thing?  The
> > White-Rodgers site has a link to one but it doesn't come up (browser
says it
> > isn't there).

> Michael D. Porter wrote:
>
> White-Rodgers isn't very helpful with older products, are they? But, this
might be a workaround. I went to their site,
> searched for an equivalent current product and got the sheet for that:
>
> http://www.white-rodgers.com/pdfs/instruction_sheets/0037-6265.pdf
>
> According to this, three flashes indicates that the pressure switch is
stuck open, so you might look at that, and check
> the wiring between the controller and the switch.

Hey why didn't I think of that?  Thanks.
I went and pulled the hose to the sensor and sucked on it, doing my best
impersonation of a chimney stack, and the furnace kicked on.  Aha.  A bad
sensor.  Or was it?  Next I took off the exhaust blower, shook out the rust,
and saw that the squirrel cage fan that boosts the exhaust gas had corroded
apart.  And the furnace is only three years old.  Time to buy a new fan
impeller and maybe a sensor to boot.

Bottom lines:
-don't buy a Fraser-Johnston furnace.
-come to this list for help.
-give whatever documentation you can find a try.

many thanks,

Mark Miller