Re: Chev truck steering wheel and horn connection THANKS

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Chev truck steering wheel and horn connection THANKS
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:25:47 -0500
Thanks to all you folks that helped me on this, on the list and off.

I went to Bumper-to-Bumper where they offered me a lock-plate compressor for
22 bucks.  I needed to get some NyLocs for the running boards anyway, so I
told them no thanks and drove to the Ace Hardware for the NyLocs.  From
there it's just a short drive out Robert Street to NAPA, where they wanted
ten bucks.  I considered trying to get one still cheaper at Pep Boys (the
only one I know of in Minnesota is way out Robert), but decided against it.

Since I had already built a steering-wheel puller, I got right to work.  I
quickly got back to the same point that had stymied me before.  The NAPA
lock-plate compressor worked perfectly.

The locking ring was just as annoying to remove as I expected.  I am
nearsighted, and can work without corrective lenses at a distance of about
10 inches.  For jobs like this one, I have off-the-shelf safety glasses with
a pair of little lights in the middle of the frames, powered by AAA
batteries housed in the temples.  This left my two hands free to manipulate
the three tiny screwdrivers.  This leaves no hands to push on the lock
plate, so the compressor is vital to this job.

Replacement is the reverse of removal.  I took care not to break the tube on
the white plastic part (which I have learned is called a canceling cam,
since it incorporates the bumps used to cancel the turn signals as well as
the horn sweeper), since this is the reason I'm doing this job in the first
place.

Now the horn works fine.

Thanks again, folks.  The depth and breadth of the knowledge instantly
available on this list never ceases to amaze me.

Oh, BTW, my current favorite hand-cleaner is Fast Orange, the non-gritty
variety.  :-)

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com