RE: Chev truck steering wheel and horn connection

To: <pethier@isd.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Chev truck steering wheel and horn connection
From: <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:07:13 -0400
pethier@isd.net [mailto:pethier@isd.net] wrote:

> This leaves me with a black metal disk attached to the
> steering shaft.  Does anyone know how to get this thing off?

Yep.  If it's what I think it is...

If you look close at the metal disk (lock-plate), you will see that
there is a locking ring on the shaft that fits into the groove (notch)
in the lock-plate.  The lock-plate has a spring under it forcing it
"up" - it is a strong spring...

You need a tool with a U-shaped "compressor" that fits over the steering
shaft(<http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdsusp04.html> - Steering Wheel
Lock-Plate remover and Installer).  Then a threaded connection goes
onto the steering shaft.  You then crank down a nut on this shaft to
compress the lock-plate down onto the steering shaft (the opposite of
a puller).  Once you compress the lock-plate onto the steering shaft,
you will have clearance to pry the springy lock ring out of it's groove
on the shaft (this is also a pain to do...).  Then uncompress the
lock-plate (unscrew the nut on the compressor) and things come apart.

You are going to need the tool.  I tried to get it off without one.  I
bought a tool...

Tim Mullen