RE: cordless tool battery chargers

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Subject: RE: cordless tool battery chargers
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 13:13:06 -0700
> Depends on the charger.  Many (probably all newish ones) shut
> themselves off when they have finished charging the battery and don't
> do any thing more until reset.  If that's the case, leaving the
> battery in the charger is no different from leaving it anywhere else
> -- except the extra battery is more likely to be charged.  The
> owner's manual probably will say DO NOT LEAVE BATTERY IN CHARGER! if
> it's not the case.  They'll probably use bigger type, though.  I
> doubt there are any that do any sort of charge maintenance.

FWIW, the instructions that came with my 12v Ryobi specifically say it's OK
to leave the spare battery in the charger.  However, the battery pack gets
warm when you do, so the charger is still doing something to it when it's
fully charged.  The warmth worries me, so I try to remember to take it out.
However I frequently forget, and my 5-year-old batteries are still working,
so it's probably NBD.

My previous cordless said not to leave the batteries in the charger for more
than 8 hours, but only in the fine print near the warranty statement ...

Randall