RE: Anybody have a Fowler Caliper? (long, involved and

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Anybody have a Fowler Caliper? (long, involved and
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:46:39 -0700
> Now then, I take the unit apart, ready to install my single new
> Everyready 357 battery, and I discover that there are two
> batteries inside, and neither are the 357 variety.  Instead, I
> find slightly different batteries marked A-76.  As you can see
> from their spec's, they have a different chemistry and a different
> mah rating (Silver oxide vs. Manganese Dioxide and 175mah
> vs. 150mah).

Steve, I'm not sure I understand your concern.  The 357 would seem to be a
superior battery, a perfect replacement, and it's even cheaper !  It's the
exact same size, has better discharge characteristics, and as an added
bonus, lasts longer (mah is a measure of the battery's life under load).
The only place the A-76 would be better is an application with high
intermittent current draw ... but I can't think of any reason your caliper
would do that.

Odds are, Fowler changed the battery specification after your caliper was
made, and forgot about it.

Randall