Automotive trouble shooting

To: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Automotive trouble shooting
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 08:00:21 -0400
Can anyone recommend a good site for automotive trouble shooting?

There are tons of them out there, but lots of them seem too vague for me.

I'm a novice, so I need explicit information -- I suppose that's hard
w/o discussing the specific car.

I have almost all the car manuals available, and usually even buy the
official Ford shop manuals, but the trouble shooting in all of them is
lacking -- at least at my level.

As an example:

My '93 Ranger's starter motor suddenly would not turn over.
Only a single click from the solenoid. The trouble shooting guides
mentioned whether or not the solenoid clicked, but I wasn't sure if they
meant one click or a bunch of them.

So, after staring at solenoid for a while -- and it didn't say anything,
I decided to crawl under the truck and stare at the starter motor for a
while. I touched the main cable leading to the starter hoping it would
notice I was there and would say something to me and sure enough the
connector had broken off.

After reading some basic stuff about what a solenoid does in Dan
Masters' Triumph book and on the web, I've concluded that a single click
must mean the solenoid works but something at the starter end is amiss.
A ratcheting sound or multiple clicks means a battery problem or the
solenoid is bad?

So that's the level I'm at and the kind of info I need.

Any good sites?

Don Malling