RE: broken bolt removal, report

To: "Shoptalk (shoptalk)" <Shop-Talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: broken bolt removal, report
From: "Zampa, Fred (Macon State College)" <FZampa@mail.maconstate.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 13:36:33 -0400
Thank you to the many folks who helped with suggestions for removing the two
bolts that had broken off in the cylinder block of my Austin seven.  I
managed to fix things using ordinary means.    One bolt was drilled and
tapped.  The other I was able to remove using heat and vice grips.  BUT, I
had to use an oxyaceteline torch and WAY more heat than I have ever used on
cast iron before. I can report that the block did not crack (at least not
where I can see ).

I also experimented, using a scrap part, with the idea of burning out a
broken bolt with a cutting torch. The idea is that it takes more heat to cut
cast iron than steel, so you should be able to burn out the steel without
hurting the cast.  Ya, right! This sort of worked. The resulting hole was
not neat, or round, or located precisely. There was also minor damage to the
scrap cast iron part.

Now I am looking into making a metal disintegrator from the plans that
Linsay publications sells. .............for the next time this happens.
If anyone has tried one of these, please let me know how it worked.

                       thanks

                              Fred Zampa