RE: MB SLR Speed!

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MB SLR Speed!
From: "Ron Schmittou" <rs1121@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:53:18 -0500
Maybe it will, but I was wondering what the
reality of doing 200 MPH on the street is.
-----

Well first thing is you will be going a LOT faster than anything else out
there and once you start exceeding about 100 just about anything that can go
wrong, on a public road, will have catastrophic consequences.  Which is why
you never see trees or poles or signs on racetracks - If this guy is going
to make a habit of high speed driving on public streets, please get me his
name so I can get a term policy in place that benefits me.

Choose your road carefully - drive the entire surface at least once before
any high speed runs to check pavement conditions.  A minor dip / whole at 70
is a whole different animal at 150.

In a past life I knew a route very well and was comfortable hammering along
it, until one day a lumber truck had recently lost some of its load on it,
and I was very fortunate to not punch my ticket because of it.

A lot cars out there today can greatly exceed their safe aerodynamic speeds
very easily so be careful!

And if your not going to be careful let me know so I can profit from it!!

C-Ya

(I promise to use any insurance proceeds on fast cars!)

--------

My boss is completely in love with the new Mercedes SLR McLaren and he is
convinced it will go over 200 MPH.  Maybe it will, but I was wondering what
the
reality of doing 200 MPH on the street is.  I was just at an IRL race at
Nazareth Speedway, and the Indy cars were doing about 173 MPH in the
qualifiers.
Why don't they just buy new SLRs and race them if they are faster?!?!

It would seem to me that any street tires would have trouble handling the
weight of a street car at those kind of speeds, and the every problematic
"valve
bounce" would rear its ugly head.  Can any speed record vehicle do that on
pump gas?

Any comments from speed freaks out there?  Is Keith Turk on this list?