Re: Lifts

To: dhl@chelseamsl.com
Subject: Re: Lifts
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 23:12:17 -0600
Donald,
I agree that concrete has very little tensil strength. If the picture of
the lift in the reference is accurate, it seems that the load will be
balanced side to side & that there would be no overturning moment on the
base plates. The cross rail spreader at the top also helps in this
respect. If there were a significant overturning moment, I doubt that
the tensil strength of four inch vs eight inch concrete would make much
difference. I suspect that there are stringent safeguards built into the
system to prevent unbalanced loads, both side to side & fore & aft.
"Heavy-Duty Dual 3/8 Equalizer Cables, Dual Hydraulic Direct-Drive
Cylinders".  In the event that the safety load balancing systems were to
fail the whole thing might come crashing down.BTW, can someone tell me
what an "assymetric lift" means? Everything looks symetrical to me.

Dave Russell