Re: Tool Question

To: David Scheidt <dmschei@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Tool Question
From: Scott Hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 21:50:05 -0400
I'm not sure what the zero degree ratchets are.  are they the high
tooth-count ones?  if they are, I'd still go with the facom ratchets, just
on cost.  I think the macs are 45 tooth double pawl for 4-degree
increments.  the facom is 72-tooth, for 5-degree.  I got the facom stuff
before we had a mac guy here (that I knew about), and I got it because I
was working on a lot of pwcs as well as my bikes, and a few degrees can
really get important when taking the carbs off a polaris triple covered in
fiberglass.  having said that, the facom ratchet completely solved my
problem, *especially* the short 3/8" inch handle (it's j161-something,
iirc).  after that, I just couldn't bring myself to pay the $80-$120 for
the mac handle, especially since the facom is something like $25-$30
(again, iirc).  the mac can be had with that plastic handle, and I think
you can get it (the 45-tooth one) now with the spinny handle, and the
double-ratchet jobby like someone was describing in the snap-on a few days
ago.  but the facoms have an even *more* comfortable handle, and so far I
haven't found a situation requiring me to hunt down the mac truck to buy
the double-ratchet one.  if you get the facoms, pick up the matching s-k
when you buy for really nasty work.

scott