RE: Squeeze Bottle

To: <british-cars@autox.team.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Squeeze Bottle
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 16:14:24 -0700
> In an earlier posting I mentioned that I don't like to use a turkey
> baster to empty brake reservoirs because they tend to dribble fluid
> when they're full.  While I was at the supermarket today, I discovered
> what looked like a better alternative.  In the barbecue supplies section
> I found a squeeze bottle baster.  It consisted of a plastic bottle with a
>
> screw on top with about a 3" long metal tube sticking out of it.  The
> tube's diameter was about 1/8", so I doubt it would dribble much, if at
> all.  And if you withdrew the tube while it was still sucking, you could
> pretty much guarantee no dribbling.  The price was about $3.50.

Can't beat that price, but for just a bit more geld I built a "vacuum
cleaner" that I rather like.  Cheap venturi (air powered) vacuum pump ($10
at HF), 1 qt canning jar with metal lid, some copper and rubber tubing.  I
built it to suck oil out of SU dashpots, but it also works well for emptying
float bowls, brake reservoirs, etc.  I even used it to suck out battery acid
once, but it wouldn't stand up to that very often.

Randall