Re: GPS receivers?

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GPS receivers?
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:45:21 -0400
Hi Mark.  I currently have temporary custody of my father-in-law's Garmin
eTrex Legend GPS.  I would say that the answer to your question is "not
accurate enough".  I typically get reported accuracy of 20 to 30
feet.  Actual performance is perhaps a bit better, but I'm assuming that
even if it was 10 feet, that would not be good enough for you.  This model
is WAAS enabled.  WAAS is a system that is supposed to improve the accuracy
a lot.  Where I live, I have never been able to receive anything from a
WAAS satellite.  There is supposedly one over the east coast, and one over
the west.  Perhaps if you were able to receive with that additional
accuracy, you would be able to get enough accuracy for your purpose.  Best
bet would be to find someone local who has one.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net