Ball detent pins

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ball detent pins
From: "Wayne Farrington" <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 16:26:14 -0700
I am looking for a type of ball detent pin. Actually it is not a ball detent
pin in the traditional sense. I know I've seen these in industry but can't
figure out what they are called. It is a pin with a T handle and button just
like a traditional ball detent pin. But instead of having a ball on the other
end it has a lever that pivots from being in the same plane as the pin to
being 90 deg. from it and locks in that position until the button is pushed.
When the button is pushed the lever pivots back in line with the pin and you
can pull the pin out of the hole.

The potential application for this type of pin is to hold my two 2"x12"x6 foot
ramps in place on the car trailer deck during transport. I want to just lay
the ramps on the deck (the deck is wood as well) and drill a hole through both
the ramp and the deck. Then just use one of these pins to hold the ramp in
place. The ramps will be under the center of the car and the non fastened end
may "walk around" a bit, but they can't really go anywhere I don't think. The
unfastened end may walk over and rest up against the inside of one of the
tires on the race car but that shouldn't really be a problem.

Anyway, I need something that can be quickly and easily inserted or removed.
Any ideas what these pins are called or where to get them? Or other ideas on
how secure the wood ramps for transport - preferable on the trailer deck under
the car.

Thanks
Wayne