Re: 2 cycle engine

To: "Jim & Nadia Higgins" <seamus@iwaynet.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 2 cycle engine
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 22:17:23 -0500
From: "Jim & Nadia Higgins" <seamus@iwaynet.net>

> I have a Polaris ATV that has a 2 cycle engine.  There is a reservoir for
> the 2 cycle oil which is then automatically mixed with the gas.  I
stupidly
> let this reservoir run dry and now the engine will turn over but not fire.
> I plan to check the spark plug first (maybe I'll be lucky to get off so
> cheap) but what other damage might I have done? Burned valves?

I'd expect there are no valves in the engine design.  The bearings might be
shot.  The rings and cylinder walls are probably shot.

SAAB cars with oil injection on 2-strokes had a setup whereby the first
think to fail if the injector failed (or ran dry) was the drive to the
distributor, so the engine would die.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com