Aluminum welder

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Aluminum welder
From: "Wayne Farrington" <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 15:20:47 -0700
I have just about run out of patience with not having aluminum welding
capability in my shop. 95% of my aluminum work is fabrication on race cars or
trailers. I need to the ability to weld fairly thin aluminum. They tell me I
can change the liner and rollers on my Esab 250 mig machine and try pushing
aluminum wire through it. But I have not found a single person who was
satisfied with that type of set up. Very sensitive to bunching the wire etc.

So, I am thinking about a tig machine for aluminum and some thin steel work.
My esab actually throttles down fairly low and I can do most of my thin metal
work with it. There has been a couple of occasions however where the results
were less then satisfactory. Without aluminum welding capability I have to use
metal for applications that really should be using aluminum - less weight etc.
Occasionally I will outsource an aluminum welding job but that has its
drawbacks as well. Chief among them is the hassle factor. So, have I justified
this purchase enough... :^)

What experience do you guys have with aluminum welding machines? How about
something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2529390661&category=34099

Also, what type of wife projects can be done with an aluminum welder???? My
wife has been bugging me to make some bird houses (presumably out of wood).
While I have the woodworking equipment to do it. I hate working with wood and
consequently no birdhouses have been built. Maybe some aluminum bird houses??
Another words, what's in it for my wife?

Wayne