Re: Bead Blast question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bead Blast question
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 08:39:50 -0400
At 12:41 AM 4/13/03 -0500, Ray Bahr wrote:

>I have been trying to clean my rums in a bead blast cabinet I made.
>Question is that all the fine dust/dirt that I am knocking off the rims
>keep clogging up the exhaust filter  causing the visibility to go to zero
>inside the cabinet. The filter is a pleated gortex based filter that are
>sold as replacements for some shop-vac vacuums.Any suggestion on how to
>keep this filter from clogging so easily?

Ray,

Mike Rambour is right: " A blast cabinet I don't think can work strictly on
incoming air pressure to exhaust the dust" - you do need an external suction
system.

Also I don't know of anyone that has a filter for the outgoing air in the
cabinet.  I have used a shop vac for my exhaust system for years.  The only
thing you have to watch, is that the dust will get to the motor bearings and
cause premature failure of the shop vac.  To help prevent this, I suggest
that you ensure that the deflector in the shop vac. is pointing down to
help keep the dust away from the filter in the vac.  Also put a couple of
inches of water in the bottom of the vac.  This will help trap the dust
so it doesn't get to the filters as quick and easily.  Finally, I'd suggest
that you clean the filters in the vac. after each use.

John

          48 TR1800    48 #4 Midget    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V
                       65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org