Re: Air Compressor choice

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Air Compressor choice
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 15:55:42 -0700
At 02:57 PM 4/12/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>I'm looking at two Ingersole-Rand air compressors -- both are 80 gallon.
>
>One is single stage 18 CFM at 90 PSI with 135 PSI max and rated for
>5,000 hrs (whatever that means). The other is dual stage 24 CFM at 90
>PSI with 175 PSI max and rated for 10,000 hrs.
>
>The single stage is $700 and the dual stage is $1600.

    You mentioned you would be blasting...GO BIG !!!

   I went through the same questions last year when I finally got tired of
my compressor being mostly on when I was glass beading, the noise got to
me.  Also the bigger compressor wont run as much and will theoretically
last longer.  Sand blasting and glass beading uses air like crazy you will
not be sorry to have the bigger compressor.  My old compressor was running
nearly non-stop when beading, I wore out 2 compressors in 12 years by
staying too small.

   Another advantage of the bigger compressor is stored air. I can do quite
a bit out in the garage without having to turn on the noisy compressor just
with the air in the tank.  175psi, makes a big difference.

    A interesting way to look at it, if you assume that they are not
lying...big assumption I know...then the smaller compressor will cost you
$0.14/hour and the bigger one will cost $0.16/hour, its worth it because
the bigger will last twice as long as the smaller ($700/5,000hrs=.14,
etc.)  I don't believe those kind of numbers but I do believe the bigger
compressor will last longer since it wont work as hard, not sure about
twice as long like the hours say but it should last longer.

    Yes, I know $1,600 is a LOT of money.

         mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/