AFCIs

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: AFCIs
From: Jimmie Mayfield <mayfield+shoptalk@sackheads.org>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 22:49:07 -0400
I'm seeking opinions on AFCIs (arc-fault circuit interrupters).  These are
similar to a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) except they detect
arcing instead of ground faults.  The idea is to be able to trip the circuit
early enough to prevent fires due to arcing.

I read that as of last year the NEC mandates AFCIs on all bedroom circuits.
Other than cost, is there a reason why one wouldn't want to install these on
all household circuits?

I started thinking about these after installing an extra power receptical.
Turns out I wound the hot wires in the wrong direction so that tightening
the wire nut had the effect of unwinding them slightly...enough to make the
connection flakey and it resulted in an very slight hiss (fortunately the room
was very quiet).  At least that's my theory.  Rewrapping seemed to take care
of it.  Am I correct in presuming that an AFCI, if it were installed, would
have detected this?

Jimmie