RE: 1987 VW Cabriolet turn signal problem

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 1987 VW Cabriolet turn signal problem
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 20:36:58 -0800
> The stereo was stolen from my girlfriend's 1987 Cabriolet, and
> she took the car to Circuit City for a new stereo.  She says the
> blinkers worked before she took it in - but regardless, the turn
> signals no longer work.  The hazards do work, however, and all of
> the bulbs are okay.  Are the hazards switch and the turn signal
> switch both routed through the same flasher?  Do they both work
> with the same relay?  Or is there a cut wire somewhere leading to
> the turn signal switch?  What is the best way to figure this out?

I would suggest a Haynes or Chilton's manual, with a wiring diagram.  Very
few cars use the same flasher for the turn signals and hazards; among other
things they are usually powered different because the turn signals only work
with the ignition on while the flashers are always hot.  Generally the
flasher units themselves are different, the turn flasher will flash funny if
a bulb burns out while the hazard flasher doesn't care.

However, I'd start by checking all the fuses, and looking around under the
dash for any obviously damaged or disconnected wires.

Randall