RE: a/c furnace recommendations

To: <thomkuby@iwvisp.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: a/c furnace recommendations
From: <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:22:11 -0500
Thom Kuby [mailto:thomkuby@iwvisp.com] wrote:

> This thing lives on the roof.  I, in turn, live in the high
> mojave desert area of Ca-near Death valley...  meaning extreme
> summer temps, (cold temps never so bad...)
>
> Any recommendations or ideas for a good, efficient unit?  My
> house is about 1500sq ft

Have you considered a "swamp cooler"?

When we lived in San Bernardino, our first house (about 1,000
sq. ft.) had a small capacity "wall heater" for the "winter"
months.  We added a swamp cooler (evaporative cooler) to the
roof of the house with a two speed blower and ducting to each
end of the house.  The thing worked so well, that it usually
only ran on the low speed, even during the hottest tome of
year (i.e. 95 - 100 degrees).  Swamp coolers work very well
in dry areas, but don't work well in humid areas (evaporating
water cools the air and obviously work better where the
humidity is low).  Air conditioners work better in humid
climates (humid air transfers heat better than dry air).

A swamp cooler costs less to install than an A/C and cost
less to run (again, in a dry climate).

Tim Mullen

be sent.