RE: precision (was V8 Olds Engine head gasket)

To: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Subject: RE: precision (was V8 Olds Engine head gasket)
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 19:14:03 -0800
>   I was trolling for answers.  The interesting part was the .002
> specification.

Not a specification, just the feeler gage I use.  The .001" is too thin and
bends easily <g>

>  I'm taking an
> introduction to precision machining as a hobbiest.  The instructor mixes
> the program students with
> the amateurs.  As a hobbiest I get to build the paper punch with a .015
> tolerance.
> Like this....http://www.grubinski.com/grubinski/fabrication.html

Surely you mean the clearance is .015".  That seems like a huge tolerance to
me, come to think of it it's even a pretty big clearance for a punch.  Or
did you just mean things that don't matter, like the overall height of the
product ?
I haven't found a course to take yet (or the time to take it), but I've
managed to spend at least some quality time with my mill and lathe.  Don't
have a welder yet, so I'm limited to making little things out of big ones,
but I have a lot of fun.  Most recently, I made a 5/16-32 tap, to chase the
threads in the radiator bleed valve for my Triumph Stag.  Took me 3 tries to
get something usable, and it's certainly no work of art (ugly as sin), but
it did the job !

> The program students are hacksawing and filing a piece of sheet steel to
> a tolerance of .002.!
> The purpose of the exercise was to hold that tolerance with hand tools.

Wait'll you get to hand scraping !  Tolerances of .0001" using a blunt
object...

>  When I learned that
> I went out and started shopping for magnifiers.

FWIW, Harbor Freight sells a set of 3 eye loupes (2x, 5x, 10x) that is
frequently on sale for $2.  In spite of the price, these are actually
reasonable magnifiers; I've got several sets scattered around the garage.
I've got others as well of course, but these are what I use most often.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35450

I also bought a set of safety glasses with "reading" lenses in them, which
are very handy when running the mill, lathe, grinder, etc.

Randall