Best way to remove broken bolts

To: British-Cars-Pre-War@autox.team.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Best way to remove broken bolts
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 11:09:08 -0800
  Excuse me for posting on the shop talk list about pre-war cars but it is
related to shop work.

   I need a good way to remove 6 broken bolts/studs in a 34 Singer
motor.   I removed the oil pan on my car and found that it was only held in
by 2 wood screws and 4 bolts as the other 6 bolts were broken in the
block.  I assume they were studs.  4 of them are broken almost flush with
the block, one is going to easier since it is broken slightly inside the
hole and the other is sticking out about 1/4" but I am not able to move it
with vice-grips.

   I bought the car 2 years ago and finally am trying to get it on the road
but I am unwilling to reassemble the oil pan with only 4 bolts.  The motor
is still in place and I can't flip it upside down on a drill press, I don't
want to remove the motor and need to be careful of shavings although
gravity should take of that for me.  I need to drill these out but I never
seem to be able to get the drills centered when drilling by hand and end up
doing damage to the surrounding area, that will force me to put in
helicoils but I am not sure I have the space since this is on the oil pan
lip of the motor and only about 1/2 wide, it also looks like a pretty weak
area.  So drilling out is the only answer I can think of, I have purchased
some left-hand drills since I have had good luck with those in the past at
working out broken studs as they grab/drill into them but there are small
3/16" bolts, how do I center them ?

  The 2 holes where the wood screws were are another issue but I will
tackle that one later as bolts still grab some threads and while I can't
tighten them will hold a little.

   I am open to any ideas, short of removing the motor and doing it on a
press, if I go that far I will take the motor apart and rebuild it, that
will means months maybe a year before I get the car on the road.

        mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing and  ~~~ .oooO  Oooo.  ~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                                   (    )  (     )
Bug Writer er...Programmer                \   )   (   /
      mikey@b2systems.com                  \_)  (_/