Re: Thermocouplers

To: Eric@megageek.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thermocouplers
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 18:54:58 -0500
Eric@megageek.com wrote:
> In my guesthouse, the gas furnace keeps going out.  I'm getting the
> feeling that the thermocoupler is bad.  (the unit that the pilot light
> burns on to keep the gas flowing.
>
> My questions are, (since I've never worked on gas equipment.)
>
> 1- is there a way to test this first?
>
> 2-is the replacement a universal unit, or are the thermocouplers specific
> to the furnace?
>
> 3-is replacing these simple?  (just remove the old one and place in the
> new one.)

   I just had this problem, and the list answered my questions. (as Mark
referred you to)

   In a nutshell:

1. Test? Not really, you might try cleaning it first and seeing if that
helps. But that is a temporary solution it seems...

2. Universal, and cheap. ($6cdn for mine, the only choice to make is how
long the lead from the sensor is, like 16", 24", 30", 36", etc. Normally
you can buy it a little long if you are worried and just leave a coil to
take up the slack)

3. Simple to replace. Snaps in, one nut to connect the other end.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca